Montag, 21. Dezember 2009

About fantasy and phantasm. Souvenirs of a simple time.



When I first saw it this morning, I could barely believe it. Horst, whom I am worshiping more and more for making me smile every day - you really have to check out his blog which is so different, so refreshing and surprising - was exhuming some very distant and well covered childhood memories. But in reading this one word "Fantaghirò" and in looking at these stills out of the movie, I suddenly felt shifted back in this jaunty light-hearted years of my childhood. Where I spent my time between Christmas Eve and New Year's day in watching these fantastic Italian fairytale movies "Fantaghirò" and "Desideria and the ring of the dragon": full of fantasy and phantasm, witches and wizards, adventurous and rebellious princesses, wicked warriors, mean stepsisters and bewitches princes, battles and love in desert and snow.


This makes me longing, longing for this simple time, but above all longing for fiction, fantasy and phantasm these films already carry in their titels: "FANTAghirò" and "Desideria", personification of longing and desire: so I am longing for Victor falling in love with Desideria without ever seeing her face, only recognizing her by her VOICE, for prince Romualdo loosing his heart to Fantaghirò without properly seeing her face, only recognizing her by her EYES. And all these girls dressing up as men...


Dear Mr. Zizek, 
this is also a message for you, wouldn't you be interested in interpreting these films with your psychoanalytic methods, this would be real fun, I am sure....


"Fantaghirò" and "Desideria and the ring of the dragon" directed by Lamberto Bava.


Beautiful still selection by Horst.

3 Kommentare:

LYNN and HORST hat gesagt…

yes, and you perfectly captured this feeling, was nice reading it here... xxx

Anouk hat gesagt…

chch, awesome, right.

Olviya hat gesagt…

oh, abs agree. i had the same christmas time - watching this magic movie. and it was and even is very inspiring.
happy new year!